Bulimba, an old gateway to Brisbane, originally was called Tugulawah, an Aboriginal word meaning 'heart shaped', indicating the 'bend of the river'. The name Bulimba was adopted by the early European settlers.
Bulimba originally was a farming community that was established in the early 1850's. The fertile soil produced such crops as cotton, sugarcane, maize, wheat and bananas.
Bulimba State School was opened on the 16 July 1866 in the Wesleyan Chapel which was rented at a nominal fee pending the completion of the permanent school building towards which the local residents contributed liberally.
Download more history information about Bulimba State School (PDF, 5982KB)